Dark Poetry Contest 2024
Shhh....there's someone behind you.
For this FEB of 2024 we want you to imagine a short story below:
Imagine yourself walking on the street all alone wrapped in an autumn-coloured scarf, mittens and sweater. Crushing the dried Maple leaves under your boots, you smell the aromatic pumpkin spices in your neighbourhood. Suddenly, you see eerie darkness engulfing the prettiest pink sunset and you run for your life towards your house. You can hear some entity is following you but you’re too afraid to look back. You reached your home and latched the door behind seeking safety from an unknown fear. Something is not right. You peeked out from the window and you can see the dark alleys are as silent as a crypt by indistinct diabolical murmurs and spine-chilling whispers. You turned around to hide in an enclosed space but suddenly the lights are out. The unwelcoming thunder and lightning in the night sky reveal the skin-crawling sight of yourself reading Wingless Dreamer anthology, Halloween in me. Shivers run down your spine. You collapsed.
Well, how does this story sound to you? This season Wingless Dreamer Publisher is summoning spirits, the dead, and the undead. We are talking ghosts, witches, vampires, talking scarecrows, zombies and other ghastly creatures. It’s your time to haunt editors with your impending poems and short stories. Unleash your creativity. Take your pick and possess the best of poets and writers, and make them write your most teeth-chattering hauntings.
We want you to hold onto your dead hearts. However, there is a limit. *thunder rumbling*. The horrendous poems should not exceed 40 lines and the blood-curdling short stories should not exceed 500 words. We are eagerly dreading your submissions to haunt us day and night. What are you waiting for? Submit today.
Uniqueness – 50%
Creativity/Style and Originality – 30%
The coherence of form and structure (harmony of words, presentation) – 10%
Clarity of imagery and language – 10% => TOTAL – 100%
1. All entries are judged anonymously and the poet’s name must not appear on the poem itself.
2. All poems must have a title and must not exceed 40 lines in length (excluding the title).
3. All the short stories must have a title and must not exceed more than 500 words.
4. Entries can be on any subject.
5. Poems must be in English.
6. Poems must be the entrant’s original work.
7. Entries must not have been published, self-published, published on a website, made public on social media, broadcast, or featured among the winners in another competition before 31 January 2024.
You can read our Terms and Conditions on our website winglessdreamer.com